Background

Saturday, July 10, 2010

A torturous 7 miler...destined to injury?

I finally did order a pair of insoles (inside tears)...and I was wishing i had them this morning for sure...

Today was the Maumelle route...I'm not opposed, pretty flat, although out and back...which I usually do not favor. My hip was kind of sore last night, so I was slightly apprehensive about today's run..not to mention, 7 miles on the schedule. I did some of my hip exercises in bed before getting up and it seemed to help some. I left my house a little early this morning so I could start my walking warm up. I usually start the routes with 5 minutes of walking and ease into a pace, but wanted to try to run a little with Cheryl and Kim this morning, so I was hoping to get it out of the way. That way, by the time they caught up with me, I would be running. Didn't go as planned, as the group started late due to Tom's "rambling on" (hehe)...I somehow started out way too fast and ended up paying for it the second half of the run....plus, I had some technical difficulties..issues with my shoes, my fuel belt, etc...At one point I had to loosen my laces because I felt that all-to-familiar feeling of pressure on the top of my foot...I thought "Oh no!" because this same issue during my last marathon kept me "running-free" (as in , NO running) for about 8 weeks afterward...

Loosening the laces seemed to help, but I felt like I was compensating for the looser shoe by flexing my foot upward, therefore...getting a cramp in my toes...Then....a long lost enemy showed up...IT Band pain... GEEZ!! That's what I get for going too fast! I wasn't sure if it was my IT Band at first, maybe my hip flexor...but I stopped to stretch and it got better, so I knew my nemesis was back....Sigh...Am I destined for injury? Seriously...

I came home and did a bit of foam rolling and my hip exercises, and I do feel somewhat better. I also applied an ice pack to my foot, hoping to fend off that issue ASAP. Ibuprofen is my friend today...

My insoles are supposed to be ready in about 10 days and I am counting down...

1 comment:

OK Chick said...

But 7 miles is awesome. I've been on a running break since the beginning of July. In August I'm going to start back up with a normal schedule. I'm training for Philly half marathon in November.