Background

Monday, November 10, 2008

Commando...Chi Running....and Sprains...Oh my....

Today was my first weekly run with the girls. Met at Cheryl's house about 6:10 to do their regular 5 mile loop. It was cold and as usual, the girls thought I was crazy for wearing shorts. I usually don't have problems with my legs getting cold as much as my arms do...I did have 2 shirts and a fleece on today....

Left from Cheryl's house and headed down to the bathrooms, at such time I proceeded to (gulp) "shed my underwear" as Cheryl puts it....they kept falling down and we still had about 4.3 miles to go....what was I going to do? Keep pulling them up the whole time? So, I did remove them, fold them in a little square, and tuck them in my "kangaroo pouch" on the front of my fleece pullover, and carry on with the run... The hills, although I usually like them, seemed tough today and I was breathing hard. Kim swears it's a "Monday" thing and I might be inclined to believe her, although that chick never has a "Monday" (she ran 10 miles yesterday... ) ! I had been reading last night, and watching You Tube, about Chi Running....It is supposed to help you run more efficiently and effortlessly, "using laws of physics and nature" to guide your body positioning. I tried the running posture, but I'm sure that it is something that takes some practice. Kim assured me that I looked like an absolute dork....but I think it may have helped???

Passing the Elementary school, Cheryl hurt her ankle again...I didn't really see it, but it looked like she tripped over a bulge in the road...She immediately had to sit down and it looked pretty painful. I'm sure it was just as frustrating as ever, as we have the Spa 10k coming up next weekend and the Memphis Half in December. We were not sure if she could walk back home, but after a few minutes she was able to stand and it didn't look swollen or bruised. We walked home with her and Kim and I continued our run. We ended up getting almost exactly 4 miles, by the time we got back to Cheryl's. My knee felt okay, but my damn IT Band was sore and that was even with wearing my ChoPat strap further up on my thigh....Ugh...We have a 10 miler on Wednesday and I'm kind of worried...Hopefully with some rest, ice/heat, SalonPas patches and Ibuprofen/Aleve, I will be functional on Wednesday morning. We are doing 4-6 miles before meeting Cheryl for the rest and I hope she is able to run by then....We went inside for some coffee and Cheryl was icing her ankle. I felt bad that she had to go to work this morning after the trauma....

Going out of town this week on Thursday to Louisville to go to a medical missions conference. I probably won't have time for much running up there, except a short one or two, so that's why I'm doing my long run on Wednesday. Looking forward to seeing my good friends Lisa, Chas, and Ryan. More on Wednsday's run to come....

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Thanks for walking home with me, might be able to run by Wednesday....we shall see. So glad you were able to join us for our famous loops!

Newly and Forever, Tamantha said...

I will miss my "running family" this week...sniffle...