Background

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Good day....sunshine...

What a beautiful day! Aside form the wind, the sunny and somewhat warmer day had me stepping outside this afternoon before Pilates for a short run. I need to get a few runs in this week before the Memphis Half on Saturday and I have to work tomorrow....

Kim, Cheryl, and I did the 6 mile loop yesterday and it was definitely a Monday! We were huffing and puffing as usual. It was pretty cold, but not quite as cold as I expected. I had shorts, 3 performance shirts, and a fleece on top...and of course, my gloves and headband (I WILL wear shorts as long as possible!!). I was quite comfortable. My fingers did stay pretty cold throughout the whole run though. For some reason, we got home later than usual and Kim didn't have time to stay for coffee. Cheryl and I enjoyed a couple of cups and then I headed out and she had some work to do. My foot was still sore, but not as bad as it was at the 6 mile point on Saturday's long run. I continue to do the ice packs, Ibuprofen, and SalonPas....

Back to today's run.....it was in my neighborhood...and I do mean "hood"...although in the light of day, it almost looks like a safe neighborhood..haha...Anyhoo, did my little 4 mile route, which is basically a few streets around my neighborhood and back home. My foot hurt quite a bit at first, let up, and then started to hurt again right before I finished. Luckily I was almost done, I could start to feel the pain creeping up the right inner leg. Geez...it's probably a good idea that I'm not running Friday with the girls before we leave, cause we will be walking around at the Expo and I'm going to try to rest it as much as possible before the race. My weird splits were:

1.5 miles 13:58
1.0 mile 8:44 (what?!)
1.5 miles 12:34

The pace felt pretty comfortable, as far as stamina, except for the foot issues. No knee pain or IT Band pain today...yay!!! I have been chatting with people via blogs and am hoping to check out the Breakaway Store in Memphis to see if I need a shoe and/or insole adjustment. Right now I am in a stability shoe with Powerstep insoles, because the orthotics I had made are too hard to wear. Apparently, this is a common thing for the New Balance store in Little Rock to set people up with a stability/orthotic combo...an apparent no-no in Memphis. I tried to give those orthotics a chance again yesterday, but I just couldn't wear them more than 1/2 hour. I've heard that some people need a neutral shoe with orthotics. I wasn't that sure that I am an overpronator, but I found out that I am a heel-striker and that means I, most likely, am overpronating. Anyhoo, as far as the pain goes, I think heating packs are better for me than ice, so maybe that will help me recover faster.

As a side note, I got some Sharkies and a Nike top on sale today at Academy...yay...My next run will probably be Thursday after work, hopefully another 4 miler.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Bring those orthotics from NB to Memphis so we can show people.

Laura Marie said...

Thank you for all your support! It looks like you are doing an awesome job as well! My knees are starting to feel a bit better and I probably could have run early in the week, but i'd rather be pain free before i start back up than to have a little bit of pain each time and end up hurting them even more. My plan is to cross train the rest of the week (starting today) and this weekend and then finally get my 20 mile run in on the 13th. I'm hoping this all works out. Don't you just love the elliptical?