Background

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Feed me....

This has been a pretty rough running week in general and it all started with our run on Monday morning....Cheryl had left town for Florida and it was me and Kim for the 6 mile loop. It was cold as usual...but about mile 4 it started sleeting on us! It was too far to turn around, but still over 2 miles to get home, so we had to stick it out...it sucked! It was SO COLD!!! My hands got the worst of it. I had worn Cheryl's mittens and they got super soaked, so as the wind blew on them..it was EXCRUCIATING!! It just felt like 10,000 needles were poking me and I couldn't move my fingers at all...We finally got home, Kim had to open the door and she turned the warm water on for me for my hands..However, it took me a million years to get my gloves off and I couldn't stand for the water to touch my hands. I started to feel nauseated and I thought it was because of the pain. Not long after that, my legs started to feel weak and I started to see black...I knew then it was my blood sugar and I stumbled to the living room to lie down. I tried to tell Kim to get my Luna bar out for me and when she asked "Where is it?" I said, "In my sweater...", although I didn't have a sweater! I finally got across that it was in my fleece pullover that I was wearing, and she got it out and had to feed me a couple of bites, since I still couldn't move my hands! She took my shoes off so I could put my legs up, and within a minute or so..I was feeling better. Scary....it really hit me quickly this time. I've only had one other episode that was that bad, but it has been several years since then....On a good note, we joked, we got our 6.2 miles....

Thursday was a rather uneventful running day...I had a HORRIBLE day at work and the traffic was bad, so I didn't get home until around 5pm..didn't have much time before dark, so only ended up doing 2.5 miles...Friday, I ran the 6 mile loop with Cheryl and Kim...it was a pretty slow pace, but I really felt like I needed it...the run seemed to last forever and my hip flexors and left heel were killing me. I'm pretty sure that I have PF in my left foot now...I have a Podiatrist appt this week and he's going to be so thrilled that I didn't follow his advice and cut back on the hills. Last week I really overdid it with too many hills and going faster than I should have...

Saturday's run with the LR marathon group was at Maumelle...a 16 miler...The weather started out fairly warm and threatened rain, but somehow we dodged that bullet again this week...It was windy and that got worse as the run went on. Annette went with us this week and Michelle met us about 3 miles into the route. I wish that I could say it was easier than last week, but honestly, I hurt from the get-go...First my hip flexors (I think I jacked those up last Friday doing squat-thrusts and mountain climbers), then my heels (my left one now), then my knees, finally to top off the fun with my IT Bands acting up....Geez...I just kept thinking..."How am I going to do this in a couple of months, plus 10 more miles?"...The course was relatively flat, compared to the last several weekends, but got more hilly towards the end. That wind was crazy and it got really COLD that last hour. I was afraid Cheryl would blow away, right into the lake!! My only consolation was Starbuck's...and that my friend Jenni was making me some Golden Grahams Smores treats as a reward for the torture!! We all went to Starbuck's to enjoy a hot drink and that was the best Venti coffee with Hazelnut syrup I have had in a while! Spent some time getting to know Annette and Michelle some...it's so fun meeting new running friends! They talked about the "Women can run" clinic coming up in February and I am thinking about doing it.. It sounds fun! I may need to make some additional running pals...since Kim is always in Texarkana now and Cheryl is traveling somewhere different every week! Don't worry guys...you are still my "running family"....Next week the long run is "only" (strange to say that) 10 miles...and I am looking forward to that...My doctor may just restrict me for being a bad girl anyway..I'm hoping to ask about that PF sock or shoe to wear at night...

On a fun note, I did get to go see "Bride Wars" this weekend with my good friends Jenni and Sabrina, it was cute...some mushy, some funny girl friend stuff...Somewhat predictable, but still a feel-good flick. I am watching "Everest" from Netflix and it is really good...I've had this thing for Discovery shows and documentaries lately...Anyhoo, updates on MD appt to come...Oh, and I got my insoles remade at New Balance and they are much lighter and more comfortable. I haven't tried them running yet though...just walking around in them. Saturday me and Cheryl went to the New Balance Store and I got a new pair of New Balance 1224's, they are pink! I'm thinking that maybe some of this foot pain resurfacing is because I needed new shoes. I figured it was the best time to get them, since the marathon is 2 months away!

No comments: