Background

Friday, January 16, 2009

A sucky running week.....

Nothing spectacular about this blog...more of an update, record-keeping kind of thing...my blogging love has faded with the resurgence of my numerous injuries running... It's kind of depressing to chronicle it, but once I finish the marathon in March and move onto other goals (or another marathon if I'm crazy enough)...I can look back and see all I've gone through and appreciate it. I am so close to wanting to quit running, but then all these stupid injuries would be in vain! It has been a LAME running week, if I do say so myself...

The last long run did me in for a few days...when I ran on Monday...all I could do was 3.9 miles....followed by an equally lame Tuesday of 3 miles. I tried my new shoes and insoles out on Tuesday and got shin splints, so that was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back...Took Wednesday off...

Went to Podiatrist appt. #2 yesterday:

1. I am not stretching enough..."once a day isn't going to cut it" he says....I concur, whip me with a wet noodle...I'm a bad girl...

2 .I need to stick to slower speed and less hills for a while, adding them back in GRADUALLY...note to self...oh, and I'll memo the LRM training group and make sure that they take that into account when they are planning the Saturday runs....geez....

3. MD adjusted my custom insoles that were redone by New Balance, adding some heel cushioning and a felt strip to raise the arch...it felt better in the office at least....He told me to hang onto the shoes for a while and see how they work out. He felt like the main problem was the insoles...

4. I am allowed to get the night splints, but he recommended that I buy them online, since my insurance deductible is so high....Oh, insurance...how useless you really are....

5. I am to follow up for worsening symptoms and/or recurring shin splints...

In any event, I did my run yesterday at the NLRAC track (it was just too damn cold to be outside), 5 miles in my new shoes and insoles. It went better than expected and no shin splints. We'll see...Today I did about 3 miles on the track and I had mixed results with the shoes...Not sure what to do about tomorrow morning's long run...

And on a totally unrelated separate tangent...does anyone know of anyone looking for a roommate? I have got to get out of the PSYCHO ZONE here at home!!!!?????

2 comments:

Annette said...

Hey girl I know it's easy to get in a funk when you are constantly hurting!! Hopefully it will get better soon! My shin pain has gone away... I really think it's the shoes but I am going to give them one more chance on a shorter run next week.
hang in there!!

Susan said...

Hey there! Thanks for your kind words on my blog.

I think your foot kinks are in the process of working themselves out. It just takes time, which I know is frustrating. You'll get there!

Again, thanks for your kindness!