Background

Monday, March 1, 2010

This is getting old...........

I wish I could say that a lot has changed and that I am running and exercising up a storm...but alas, that is no where near reality!

About 10 days ago I finally got an appt with my Ortho MD and he confirmed MY diagnosis of hip flexor strain/tendinitis...I swear, I should be my own MD....Anyway, he pretty much said "If it hurts, don't do it..." and didn't ban me from running, although he did prohibit cycling, which he believes was the culprit this time. I asked about steroids and PT and he was agreeable to both. I am NOT one to push medications if I can avoid it, but I have been on NSAIDS for a month with no noticeable results, so I was hoping that steroids would decrease the inflammation long enough to start the healing and I would be able to start stretching/exercises that would help me bounce back. Well, I got my steroids without much problem...but the PT, that was another story...Basically, down to brass tacks, I can't afford it. I haven't met any of my health insurance deductible for this year and would have to pay totally out of pocket for all of it. The first visit alone, the assessment, is between $250 and $300...too rich for my blood!

Now, 10 days later...I am fatter and sleep deprived, but the steroids don't seem to have helped at all. As a matter of fact, my hip has hurt worse this week than the past few weeks combined. I'm not sure if I pulled it again or what...but I am about to pull my hair out! The Doc did do an x-ray, nothing spectacular there..and suggested that an MRI might be more definitive but didn't feel that it was especially necessary at this point. Kelli, my fellow running pal and hip pain sufferer, had a mini Ortho massage last week and said that it really seemed to help her. I am now contemplating the same thing. I have a recommendation from a fellow runner that swears by the guy she sees...I asked a PT friend at work if he thought it might benefit me, and he said it could help, as long as I don't get a deep tissue massage, which, in his words, "basically bruises you up on the inside!"....The suggested massage guy only takes appointments by recommendation and an hour and a half massage is $85..we'll see....

Today is the beginning of the Women Can Run Clinic in Cabot and I am signed up...I really thought that by now I would be ready for it...but I am wondering if I will even be able to do it at all... I haven't run in over a week, since my hip has been hurting worse...but I guess I can walk for now and get some sort of exercise...Sigh...There was hope on the horizon in telling myself that this whole thing was temporary and that I would be able to exercise again...but....I am helpless as to how long it takes for my body to heal and, aside from the massage, I've done all I know to do. I guess it could be worse, and I'm thankful it's not...but I REALLY miss being active. This next weekend is the Little Rock Marathon and it is definitely bittersweet...I was really wanting to do the Half and am relegated to being on the sidelines. Don't get me wrong, I love cheering on my running pals and I definitely have a lot of friends doing the race...I miss being out there myself...I miss the good kind of soreness from a great workout, working up a good sweat, and the time with friends that share the same activities.

Not to moan and groan, folks....but this is getting OLD!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Tammy!
I will be at the LR expo working the booth for the Mountain Home Marathon for Kenya on Friday and Saturday!! If you are there, please come by the booth - I'd love to meet you!!!

That Pink Girl said...

Boo...being injured totes stinks. I'm so sorry. Hang in there and get the rest you need. :o(

Sherri said...

I am so injury prone...rest up...take care and hope your back soon!